TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Under what circumstances may college student Stafford loans

Customer Question

Under what circumstances may college student Stafford loans be discharged in ch.7 ?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to address your legal question.

Unfortunately, the only time student loans are canceled in bankruptcy is when the debtor can prove that repaying the student loans would cause undue hardship. For example, if you were permanently disabled and had no realistic chance to ever repay the loans, then the judge may discharge them. As you can imagine, getting such loans discharged is extremely rare.

If the information that I provided was helpful, please remember to ACCEPT my post as that is the only way I will receive credit and compensation for my answer. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be sufficiently addressed in this setting. Accordingly, my post is intended as general information only, and should neither be construed as specific legal advice, nor as an adequate substitute for the retention of legal counsel.