JP
JP, Attorney
Experience:  Represented creditors and individuals in bankruptcy and consumer matters.
11699753

I AM 73 YRS OLD, AND I AM PROBABLY FACING BANKRUPTCY. I HAVE

I AM 73 YRS OLD, AND I AM PROBABLY FACING BANKRUPTCY. I HAVE 100,000 EQUITY IN MY MOBILEHOME, WILL I LOOSE MY HOME. I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JP replied 8 years ago.

No. You will not lose your home simply because you file bankruptcy . In fact you will be given the opportunity to claim your home as exempt from seizure by using either the federal or your state exemptions (you will have to choose between state and federal exemptions). A Bankruptcy attorney in your area will be able to discuss the different exemption options with you and help you save and keep your home.

However, if you have $100,000 of equity in your home, you may want to consider discussing your current financial situation with a local credit union, bank or non-profit agency in your area that may be able to develop a plan to provide relief from your current debt situation without filing for bankruptcy. But again, you will not lose your home simply by filing bankruptcy.

Best Regards,