jbrlaw
jbrlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Creditors' rights lawyer involving collections, foreclosures and bankruptcies for almost 19 years.
7883151

If I have a credit card debt in collections and have been ...

If I have a credit card debt in collections and have been making monthly payments that we agreed on, does the collections agency have to show that I have been making payments? I have been making payments on my credit card for almost 2 years and my credit report shows that I have not made a payment since 2005. Plus my credit score is extremely low, but with all those payments on time; shouldn''t that raise my score
Answered via Just Answer Chat.
The debt collector should have put an entry on your credit report that you are making payments pursuant to an agreement, or something to that effect. However, the account may still be in default and monthly entries may be impossible for a debt collector (unless the original creditor is the party that made the deal with you. if you are not happy with your credit report entry, just write a letter (suggest that you send it to all 3 of the big 3 reporting companies) disputing the entries. If that doesn't fix the problem within 30 days, then you should send a separate letter to the same companies with an explanation of the proplem. They are required to post it next to the entries in question.

As for your credit score, while regular payments would increase your score, the real issue is the status of the debt. If it is in default, then regular payments would most likely have no impact on the score.

If this information was responsive, kindly “ACCEPT so that I may receive the appropriate credit for my time. If you are so inclined, bonuses and positive feedback are always appreciated. Of course, if you require further clarification, please post a reply. Thank you and good luck!

***************************************************
Please note that I may not be licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction. As such, my above comments shall not be construed as legal advice and shall not be deemed to form an attorney-client relationship.