Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

I FILED FOR CHAP 13 LAST AUG AND SINCE MY HUSBAND COULDNT ...

I FILED FOR CHAP 13 LAST AUG AND SINCE MY HUSBAND COULDNT MAKE THE 900$ MONTH DUE TO ME NOT WORKING MY LAWYER ADVISED ME TO STOP MAKEING PAYMENTS TO THE TRUSTEE WAIT FOR A LETTER AND THEN CONVERT TO CHAP 7. hE ALSO STATED THE I COULD GIVE UP A VEHICLE AND KEEP THE OTHER BUT NEGLECTED TO TELL ME THEY PAYMENTS WOULD START ASAP AFTER CONVERTING TO CHAP 7. AFTER THAT I STARTED WORKING WITH HIS PARALEGAL AND HE TOLD ME THAT SINCE I STOPPED THE CHAP 13 I WAS RESPONSIBLE TO THE PAYMENTS I WAS MAKING BEFORE CHAP 13 WENT INTO AFFECT. I GET A LETTER FROM THE FINANCE CO ASKING FOR A RELIEF OF STAY AND AGIAN I CONSULTED WITH THIS PARA LEGAL N TOLD ME NOT TO WORRY BOUT IT HE WOULD HANDLE IT. AGAIN HE ASKED ME IF I WAS GIVING UP BOTH VEHICLES N I SAID NO iM GONNA KEEP 1 OF THEM. HE SAID OK NO PROB ILL KEEP IN TOUCH. WELL BOTH CARS WERE TAKEN BECAUSE PARALEGAL AGAIN NEGLECTED TO TELL ME THAT ONCE THE GOT THE RELIEF OF STAY FROM THE CO THEY COULD TAKE BOTH CARS. I CALLED HIM 2DAY N SAID THERE WAS NOTH
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.
Your post cut off before your question. Please post your question here.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i felt cheated and now i have no car so what can i do to get my vehicle back since he is the one who wrote the company a letter stating they could take both cars n i didnt agree to that. he told me to call the finance co to see if i can get it back. i told him he should do it since the mistake was on his part not mine. where do i go from here
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am sorry for your troubles.

Your post indicates that your lawyer may have made a mistake and you may have an action against him for malpractice.

Your lawyer had a duty to follow your instructions regarding retaining the vehicle. He did not. Instead of following your instructions to retain the vehicle; he agreed to the vehicle's surrender.

You may file a malpractice action against your lawyer. It would be best if you had an attorney to represent you. You can look for an attorney who will represent you on a contingency fee basis so that you do not have to pay the lawyer prior to recovery.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER

Please hit ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonuses and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE