Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

NewUserQuestion

Can the law in Georgia take my husbands assets or wages since the debt is only in my name and i am not on any thing likr the car or house ar bank acts also what is the best way to clear my name and do this right since i owe a lot and i am disabled and unable to pay

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

Typically, your husbands assets would not be subject to attachment for your individual debts which he has no liability. You can consider a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. A Chapter 7 can discharge or forgive most debts.

If I have not fully answered your question, simply post me back with a clarification.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
can they garnish his wages or my disabiltity check and when i file chpt7 can they come after the house equity i am told even if it is not in my name i jhave to list all assets if i am married.....but the debt is in my name only....what if i do nothing what will they be able to do to me here in GA?????

Thank you

My answer are in blue.

can they garnish his wages or my disabiltity check and when i file chpt7 NO

can they come after the house equity i am told even if it is not in my name i jhave to list all assets if i am married...NO..but the debt is in my name only....

what if i do nothing what will they be able to do to me here in GA????? Your creditors may be able to obtain a judgment against you. However, if you have no assets in your name and your only income is your disability, they cannot collect the judgment from you.

I hope that this helps you.

Thank you,