jbrlaw
jbrlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Creditors' rights lawyer involving collections, foreclosures and bankruptcies for almost 19 years.
7883151

Im thinking about filling chap 7, and would like to

I''m thinking about filling chap 7, and would like to to know how to do it using the least amount of money possiable.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  jbrlaw replied 8 years ago.
Using the least amount of money means you don't want to use a lawyer. I don't recommend that but here is what you do.

First, you go to the Bankruptcy Court Clerk's office for the district in which you reside.

Then, you will be able to ontain forms and instructions from the clerk and, with the appropriate filing fees, file your petition at that time. I believe only the petition needs to be filed but other docs will need to be filed within a certain period of time after. If you fail to follow-up and file the other papers, then your case will be dismissed.

Next, you should get familiar with bankruptcy law and procedure so that you don't miss a requirement. Here is the site I use to research the law (http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode11/usc_sup_01_11.html).
There are also local rules. You may ask the clerk for a copy. If not available, you may access them online as well.

Eventually, you will have to list all of your debts, with the creditor's names, addresses, telephone numbers, amounts owed and the original amount of each debt. Don't leave anything out. It is illegal and bad for your post-bankruptcy recovery.

***************************************************
Please note that I may not be licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction. As such, my above comments shall not be construed as legal advice and shall not be deemed to form an attorney-client relationship.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: What if I wanted to hire you, how much would you chage?
Expert:  jbrlaw replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately (fortunate for me), I am no longer in private practice. if you tell me where you are located, I can help you find someone qualified.