Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Experience:  I am an attorney.

I have been out of work for most of the last 18 months. I ...

I have been out of work for most of the last 18 months. I had a lot of credit card debt before I got laid off and actually continued to make payments until about April 2007 at which time I contracted a Debt Settlement Company. In retrospect I am not sure that this was the right thing to do. Anyway, I have received a summons from an attorney representing Discover Bank to obtain a judgement on that debt. The best that the debt settlement company was able to do was to negotiate the full amount with payments of $300 a month for about 41 months. I am already paying another company $486 for two more months and do not know how I would have the $300 in addition.   My question is, what are my options in regards XXXXX XXXXX court date and summons?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

If you are unable to settle the dispute, then the credit card company will be able to appear on the date listed on the summons and move the case toward trial. If you appear then you will have a chance to dispute the validity of the charges, if you do not appear, then a default judgment may be obtained in our absence.

Once your creditor has a judgment, they may satisfy it in a number of ways. Depending on the laws of your state, they may attach the judgment to your assets, put a levy against your bank account, or garnish your wages. Overall, the judgment will negatively affect your credit.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!