Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

I am being sued by Citibank for lack of payment. I"m ...

I am being sued by Citibank for lack of payment. I"m currently working with a debt consolidation firm and have paid off 1 of 3 credit card debts (Citibank is the biggest card I defaulted on). I filed a reponse with the court and have recently received a NOTICE OF MOTION FOR JUDGEMENT which basically says that I agreed I owed the debt and I don't have any compelling reason for not repaying so they are going after the full $30K. Is there anything I need to do to prepare myself for trial? I have a statement from the credit counseling com. confirming that I have paid off one card and that I am in good standing. I'm afraid they're going to go after my wages and I never denied that I was going to pay them back, I was trying to negotiate a settlement because I basically got in over my head. I no longer have credit cards and I'm trying to clean up my financial status. Help!!

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

Unfortunately the fact that you intend to pay a debt or you have repaid other debts, is not a defense to a breach of contract action based upon failure to pay a legitimate debt.

Since you have admitted the validity of the debt, the "trial" will likely consist only of Citibank's attorney motion for judgment.

After the judgment is granted, perhaps you can work out a payment plan with the attorney representing Citibank.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: But the problem is that I couldn't afford to pay the debt in the first place, and now that there are more than $5,000 in fees alone, not to mention lawyer costs etc, do I have any options here? That's why I was working with the debt counseling company in the first place was to negotiate payment and make restitution.

I understand and empathize with your situation. Unfortunately the law is what the law is. You may want consider a bankruptcy if you cannot work out a payment plan.

Thank you,