How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask VanDLaw Your Own Question
VanDLaw, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 833
Experience:  Chapter 7 & 13
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
VanDLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i believe i need to file bankruptcy... i see no way out...

Customer Question

i believe i need to file bankruptcy... i see no way out... my husband and i were both laid off from our long time employment and the bills just piled up, we now work, but the bills are so overwhelming... i just dont know what to do... we are barely making enough to pay just the household bills right now... what do i do, i dont even believe i can pay the fee for filing bankruptcy... ?? signed, broke and miserable in mississippi
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 8 years ago.


I am sorry you are having such a hard time right now. There is relief in bankruptcy and it may just give you the fresh start you need. A Chapter 7 filing fee is $299.00 and a Chapter 13 is $274.00. In order to file a Chapter 13, you must have a steady income in order to confirm the plan. Filing a Chapter 7 may be more in line with your situation.

Also there is an application for a waiver from the filing fee if you meet the criteria, so don't let that stop you from examining your options!

The best thing to do at this point is contact a local bankruptcy attorney and ask for a consultation. Many offer consultations for free, and they can explain the process and go over your specific situation and options.

Keep your chin up! This too can be resolved.

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions