VanDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Chapter 7 & 13

i went with settlement company need to know if good choice

Customer Question

i went to a settlement group but now i've lost my income would it be better to file bankruptcey help me get back on my feet ?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 8 years ago.

If you are not able to make the payments to the group you consolidated your debt with bankruptcy may be your only option. Especially if there are any judgments involved.

Seek a consultation, there are many attorneys who do this for free, on filing for bankrutpcy. They can review your specific financial situation and give you a better answer as to your choices.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
if i file for bankruptcy the cards i have are only in my name do i have to include my husband thank you
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 8 years ago.

No, you can be married and still file bankruptcy individually. The credit cards just in your name and listed on the schedules will be discharged. Please note that you must include all debt in a bankrupcty so any cards that you may have held jointly will be discharged for your, and will make the co-owner fully responsible.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne your husband's involvement will only be in calculating your household number and ihis ncome to see if you meet the means test to file a Chapter 7, and his income to see if you have enough disposable income to file a repayment plan in Chapter 13.