Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy, Attorney
Experience:  Years of experience providing advice on bankruptcy and other alternatives to debt problems.
1987257

My wife and I are going through a divorce in the state of ...

Customer Question

My wife and I are going through a divorce in the state of Virginia. She just filed bankruptcy for her share of $350K of debt she primarily racked up. Should I file now as well or wait until the divorce is final? My divorce attorney is telling me if her debt is discharged it falls 100% on me.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Guru_Guy replied 8 years ago.
Your attorney is correct. If the two of you jointly owe debt, and she defaults (or goes through bankruptcy) you are 100% liable for all of the debt. If you do not have the resources to pay off all of the debt, and will likely need to file anyway, you might as well get started now. Otherwise, creditors will just start coming after you.

I hope this helps!

___________________

Please keep in mind that information in this forum is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and does not constitute creation of an attorney client relationship. Before acting on any such information, you are always advised to consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction who can take the time to review all the facts and laws relevant to your situation.