How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JoeLawyer Your Own Question
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 767
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
JoeLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What documents are needed to file Bankruptcy Chapter 13 in

This answer was rated:

What documents are needed to file Bankruptcy Chapter 13 in Riverside County California?

Hi JF:

You can access the website for the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California, which includes Riverside County, California, by clicking here.

If you click the Forms link, it will then let you click on Petition Forms to get forms necessary to file a Chapter 13.

One notable form I do not see on the court's list is the Chapter 13 Plan itself. There may be no form for this since many attorneys draft it individually for each case, but generally a Chapter 13 Plan has to be filed within 15 days after the bankruptcy petition is filed.

Often once the case is filed, if a form is missing the court will issue a notice of deficient filing and indicate what forms still need to be filed, and then the debtor has some time period to get the form filed or the case is dismissed.

If you are considering filing your own Chapter 13 without a lawyer, I would suggest that you reconsider since Chapter 13 is extremely complicated and errors you might make may cost you more than what you saved by not hiring an attorney. I'm not trying to discourage you though, but I want you to know this won't be simple like some other legal matters people decide to handle without an attorney.

Either way, good luck and I hope this helps!


LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) Joseph Ross. All rights reserved.

JoeLawyer and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions