JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
2990824

I recently filed bankruptcy in ct my house is included in ...

I recently filed bankruptcy in ct my house is included in the bankruptcy. I just recieved a tax bill from IRS 16000 back taxes from 2006. The house has not been forclosed on yet will IRS put lean on house or will they want me to pay the taxes.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 8 years ago.

Hi Poore:

It is up to the IRS whether it files a lien on the real estate, though of course it may be helpful to you if the IRS does since some of the taxes may then get paid when the house is sold at foreclosure sale (assuming you surrendered the home in your bankruptcy, which I assume "included in bankruptcy" means you did, though technically even homes that the debtor keeps are included in the bankruptcy but just reaffirmed). You would have to contact the county auditor or recorder (they may bounce you around a little bit since states and counties vary) for the county in which the real estate is located to see if the IRS filed a lien.

In any case, generally income taxes that are less than three years old are non-dischargeable in bankruptcy pursuant to 11 USC 523(a)(1), so the IRS will likely continue to pursue income tax liability from the tax year 2006 from anyone who files bankruptcy in 2008. In fact, the three years is generally deemed to be three years from when the taxes were due, so since 2006 taxes are due April 15, 2007, those taxes are not generally dischargeable in bankruptcy until April 16, 2010, and even only then if other requirements of 11 USC 523(a)(1) are met.

Sorry I did not have the best news for you, but I thought you would appreciate honesty more than fluff.

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) Joseph Ross. All rights reserved.