JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
2990824

I had to declare bankruptcy in 2004 due to a very rare ...

I had to declare bankruptcy in 2004 due to a very rare petit mal seizure disorder. I qualified for lifetime Social Security disability benefits but that just covers the rent. Since I had no warning I would lose a $90,000/year job overnight, my savings only lasted a year. There used to be a set time limit on how long a bankruptcy stays on record. It is a stigma that keeps me from qualifying from many things, car loans, renting an apartment, etc. Will I ever be released from this? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Hi Samantha:

I'm sorry to hear about your affliction and job loss.

Chapter 13 bankruptcy is on your credit report for 7 years, and Chapter 7 is on your credit report for 10 years.

However, credt-wise they generally only affect you for a year to three years. Most mortgage lenders say 2 years before they will do a mortgage.

I hope this helps and a positive feedback is always appreciated if this was useful to you.

Joe

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above (c) by Joseph Ross, all rights reserved.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much for helping me understand the various aspects of bankruptcy. Your answer made me feel less helpless (and worthless...the stigma of bankruptcy)about my future options.

I am happy to help Samantha!

Joe