Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Experience:  I am an attorney.

If I claim bankruptcy , will I still have to pay my

Customer Question

There has been a legal hold placed on my bank account. The claim is from a collection agency. Can I get the account released and work out a payment plan?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.

If you are able to work out a settlement agreement with the collection agency, you can get them to agree too release the hold on your account. However, they are under no obligation to settle with you, if they are eager to get their money, you may be able to work something out with them.

Additionally, if you file for bankruptcy and their debt is discharged as party of the bankruptcy, they may be forced to release the hold.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!