JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
2990824

If I claim bankruptcy , will I still have to pay my ...

Customer Question

If I claim bankruptcy , will I still have to pay my creditors? I understand there have been changes in the law regarding chapter 7
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 8 years ago.

Hi Demented:

Generally, when one files Chapter 7, the person filing does not pay the creditors anything and all the debts are discharged (i.e. wiped out). If one files Chapter 13, the person filing pays as much as they can afford over 3 to 5 years, and and the end of the 3 to 5 years, any debt not paid is discharged.

The changes in the law regarding Chapter 7 did not change the fact that debts are wiped out. However, some debts cannot be wiped out in bankruptcy, such as child support, student loans, debts related to personal injury caused while driving drunk, fraud, etc. But, credit cards, personal loans, medical bills, utility bills, amounts due from repossessed cars and homes, etc, are all still dischargeable in bankruptcy.

I hope this helps and a positive feedback is always appreciated if this was useful to you.

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above (c) by Joseph Ross, all rights reserved.