Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Experience:  I am an attorney.

What should I expect from/ or what is a case management ...

What should I expect from/ or what is a case management conference? I didn't 'answer' the original summons, which is now going to 'case management'. I didn't/don't have money for an attorney and am worried about garnishment or even losing my car ( I already sold my home to pay off debt and wasn't able to pay all of it off.) I am working towards a higher paying job and in the meantime can barely cover the essentials, until that new job come through.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

A case management conference is where the parties and/or their counsel meet before the judge and give the judge an update on what is going on with the case. Sometimes the judge will set the case for trial or give the parties an idea of what to expect moving forward. In a case where not much has happened in the way of discovery, the judge will probably lay out the briefing and/or trial schedule.

However, given that you did not respond, the judge may want to know why. After hearing your response, the judge will have the discretion to determine whether you will be given an extension to respond. In your case, the judge may inquire about what is going on in the case, give you a time line through which you must respond, and set another case management conference or a trial date.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!