Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Experience:  I am an attorney.

I am a recovering addict. I own no home, do not work due to ...

I am a recovering addict. I own no home, do not work due to health issues, have no bank acct, own a beat up 1995 car-received summons that if I don''t reply to an old credit card debt, a judgement will be taken against me. What can I do-I didn''t respond to their prior threats and now this sunnons was served to me-I have 20 days to respond.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on your recovery.

You can either respond to the summons and show up in court, or do nothing and have a judgment taken against you. Judgments stay good for a number of years, so the downside to having a judgment taken against you is that it will be reported on your credit, and if you come into any money later on, or start working, your wages could be garnished or your accounts could be levied.

It is very possible that the credit card company will get a judgment, if you legitimately charged on the credit card, despite your defending your position. As long as they brought the lawsuit within the requisite statute of limitations in your jurisdiction and can prove that you are the rightful owner of the debt.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!