Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Experience:  I am an attorney.
635143

Following a court settlement in my divorce, my ex got the ...

Following a court settlement in my divorce, my ex got the house (quit claim deed). Div. became final in Sept 07. Prior to that date ex had solely occupied the marital residence from 05/06 while the kids and I moved out and rented (still renting). Ex now files for bankruptcy, doesn''t pay the mortg. My name is XXXXX XXXXX the mortgage, but it is on the security deed. Mortgage company now sues to forclose and has roped me in. What is my recourse in light of the divorce settlement and the quit claim deed?   I have not lived in the house for more than 2yrs and we have the court order - quit claim deed. What am I to do? I was about to buy my own house and settle down with the kids. By the way, I got NOTHING from my ex. only debts.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Nobody has responded yet.
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, since you signed the security deed, you can be held responsible for the home. Unfortunately, your creditor does not need to acknowledge your settlement agreement or divorce decree. However, you may have recourse against your ex for not being responsible for the debt according to the agreement.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!

-KAT