Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Experience:  I am an attorney.

In the state of Texas, if I marry a person who owns a ...

In the state of Texas, if I marry a person who owns a business and that person ultimately has to file for bankruptcy, at what point could I also be held financially responsible? If we lived together could I also be held responsible?

Thank you for your question.

The only way in which you can be held accountable in this situations if you and the person you marry share debts in common. If your spouse's debts are discharged through bankruptcy, your shared creditors can hold you responsible for the debt.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Law Girl's Post: Thanks for your answer. If I am understanding correctly, if we keep our finances separate and do not have any credit together in which my name would be connected, then I would not be connected financially if he were to file bancruptcy down the line.

Thank you!

Exactly! Keep in mind that your jointly owned assets may be affected also because his assets may need to be adjudicated by the bankruptcy court before he will be able to discharge his debt.