JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996

My husband is a union employee (41 years) in the ...

My husband is a union employee (41 years) in the automotive industry. He plans to retire in September ''08 at age 60. Current union contract runs through June 2011. Said contract was approved with Company''s agreement to not ask he Union to open the contract for negotiation during its 5-year duration. Company is now asking Union to open the contract, saying it will file Chapter 11 on June 30, 2008, just before the 2-week layoff which coincides with the General Motors summer shutdown. What will happen next if, in fact, the Company files bankruptcy?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 6 years ago.

Yooper:

That is scary to not know if the employer is going to try to yank the rug out from under your retirement, I am very sorry to hear the company is close to bankruptcy.

Unfortunately, that is a crystal ball question; what retirement benefits the company has to, or can, honor will be determined by the Bankruptcy Court. It is generally a long, slow, fretful process and I am sorry you have to face it after 41 years of hard work.

However, retirement benefits generally have to be paid by the company into a fund, and that fund is probably in tact and the Bankruptcy Court almost always goes to great lengths to be sure employees get their retirement.

My guess - and this is a guess - is that your husband will get his retirement, though the terms of how he receives it may change based on the financial realities facing the company. In other words, if he was supposed to get, say, $1,800/mo after he retired, he may instead get a lump sum payment of some amount but then not get any monthly benefit.

I'm sorry this answer is not more specific, but that really is a question that I can only speculate about since probably no one knows what is going to happen at this point. But, I thought you would appreciate my answering honestly rather than saying something that isn't really accurate for the sake of sounding conclusive.

I hope this helps and a positive feedback is always appreciated if this was useful to you.

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) Joseph Ross. All rights reserved.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is Chapter 11 the "restructuring" bankruptcy, or is that Chapter 13? And once the bankruptcy is filed, can the employer immediately close the factory, or does he have to keep running and under the current union contract? I know this may be a question that only a labor/union attorney can answer, but your insight will be appreciated.
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 6 years ago.

Chapter 11 is the reorganization chapter which is filed when a company wants to stay in business. Chapter 13 is not applicable, it is only for individuals, not businesses.

Even if the company files Chapter 11 to stay in business, this is not to say that they would not convert to Chapter 7 (liquidation) down the road if things don't improve financially, but at least the Chapter 11 means they are trying to stay afloat.

Generally speaking, contracts go in the trash when a Chapter 11 is filed, and everything has to be re-negotiated and approved by the Bankruptcy Court after that point.

Joe

JoeLawyer, Attorney
Experience: Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996