Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Experience:  I am an attorney.

Is it legal for a credit card company to attach your wages

Customer Question

I was in court today over a credit card company that is going to attach my wages(25% of my total monthly income). This particular card company I was paying insurance to back in 2004 in case of injury. Well i was hurt and unable to work for a period of about 3 months. I notified them and was told not to worry about the payment until I was back at work. When i got back I let them know that i was back working. They sent me a form for my doctor to fill out . I hadnt gone to a doctor as my injury was untreatable by one. I had tripped and broken off my big toe nail and was unable to wear a shoe( required by my job). The credit card company refused to pay the payments that i missed and charged me late charges. I called them and told them that if they removed the late charges I would pay the card off. They refused, so I stopped paying all together. Now here they are 4 years later putting 3000.00 dollars interest on the card and attaching my wages. I only make 500.00 to 600.00 monthly.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Depending on your state, it is legal for a credit card company to garnish your wages to satisfy a judgment.

The problem with the insurance that your buy for credit cards is that they can require you to jump through hoops (i.e. visit a doctor, obtain a physician statement) before the insurance kicks in. It seems like the insurance company denied your claim because there was no doctor's note.

At this point, there may not be a lot that can be done other than making arrangements to pay off the card.

I am sorry.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!