Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Experience:  I am an attorney.

i am involved in a discrimination and sexual ...

i am involved in a discrimination and sexual harassment lawsuit where the opposing attorneys are requesting from the judge that me and another plaintiff to pay for their fees even though they are in the wrong and they are a multimillion dollar entity with many lawsuits for the same issues.i do own a house which is homestead the other lady does not own a house but she makes a lot of money ,i am presently unemployed.what happens if they win? We have not lost our case but the judge is pro employers and not sympathetic to womens issues.my main question is how soon timewise can they issue a judgement and how soon can they enforce the judgement against us and can they sell my house clothes car jewelry etc and what can i do to protect myself from these horrible individuals?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thank you for your question.

It is very possible that if they win, you will be responsible for their fees and court costs. Since this is probably statutory, depending on the jurisdiction where you live, there is not really anything you can do to protect yourself from having to pay this if you lose your case. This is just one of the unfortunate sides of litigation.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!

-KAT

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
DEAR LAWGIRL I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY STATUTORY I AM IN NEVADA JURISDICTION ,SO FROM WHAT YOU ARE TELLING ME THERE IS NO POSSIBILITY FOR ME TO PROTECT MYSELF FROM THESE INDIVIDUALS WHO TORMENTED ME FOR YEARS AND NOW I HAVE TO PAY THEM AFTER THEY MALICIOUSLY AND INTENTIONALY CAUSED ME TO LOSE A LOT OF MONEY ,MY HEALTH AND MY EMOTIONAL WELLBEING?I        ASKED MANY QUESTIONS TO A MR BENJAMIN M.BURT ESQ,
BUT I DID NOT GET ANY ANSWERS SO I DO NOT KNOW IF YOU READ MY QUESTIONS FROM THE BEGGINING OR JUST THE END TAIL OF IT .COULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT DO YOU MEAN.THANKS
Expert:  Law Girl replied 6 years ago.

The law allows a winning party to obtain their fees and costs from a losing party. If you lose your lawsuit, there is nothing that you can do about these fees or costs.

Your contingency would not include this provision. This is just a hazard of litigation. So it is appropriate that your agreement with your attorneys will not include this provision. It sounds like your attorney re-evaluated your case and feel that you could lose.

I have no idea why they did not disclose before, but perhaps it did not come up because they did not feel that you would ever be on the losing end of the litigation. Additionally, some attorneys are able to get fees and costs waived, so some clients never realize what they would have owed if they lose their case. It is also possible that they amended their initial action to include asking for their attorneys fees. This is something that they are not entitled to by statute, but relief that they need to obtain from the court.

It is very possible that they received the motion and were doing research to ensure that they had legal position to refute the motion before they brought it to your attention. (Their motion for attorneys fees is different than the authority that requires a losing party to pay for court fees and costs.)

At this point short of trying to get out of the lawsuit for the least amount of damage, there is not a lot you can do to protect yourself. If you move forward, you risk whatever the judge is putting on the table if you lose. If you move forward you could win. If you back out, your attorneys may be able to get you out. Really this requires an in depth conversation with your counsel. You also want to make sure that if your law firm is fronting costs, you will not be responsible for paying any money back if you walk away from the lawsuit.

If a judgment is granted against you, it will stay valid for six years, so they will have that period of time to try to get that money from you. They can put a lien on your home and/or garnish your wages to satisfy the judgment.

A lot of this could just be a negotiation tactic to get you to drop your lawsuit.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
DEAR LAW GIRL
CAN THE WINNING PARTY DEMAND THAT ONLY ONE PERSON PAYS FOR ALL THEIR COSTS IF THET THINK THAT THIS ONE PERSON CAN AFFORD IT OR IF THERE ARE OTHERS INVOLVED IN THE SAME LAWSUIT DO THEY ALSO HAVE TO PAY THEIR PORTION ,WHAT I MEAN WILL THEY DEMAND IT FROM EVERYBODY OR NOT AND WHAT IS CUSTOMARY.ALSO IF THE HOUSE IS HOMESTEAD CAN THEY STILL FORCE A SALE?PLEASE WOULD YOU CLARIFY TO ME SINCE THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THAT I AM USING THIS SERVICE HOW MUCH DO I HAVE TO PAY BECAUSE I OKEYED A$30.00 THIRTY DOLLARS FEE BUT I SAW SIX DIFFERENT BILLS THAT I DID NOT AUTHORIZE .I WOULD LIKE YOU TO GET PAID FOR YOUR EFFORTS AND I AUTHORIZE THE THIRTY DOLLARS FOR YOU.
THANK YOU VEY MUCH
Expert:  Law Girl replied 6 years ago.

You should not be charged until you his "ACCEPT" for an answer. (That is my understanding anyway.)

Generally, a judgment will be taken against the entirety of the losing parties. The judgment will be binding both joint and severally, this means that they can choose to hold everyone or one person responsible for paying all of it. Then that one person would have the ability of trying to get their money back from the other party member.

If the home is protected under homestead, they cannot force the sale of it.

I hope that made sense. Let me know if you need clarification.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
DEAR LAW GIRL
I AM GOING TO HIT THE ACCEPT BUTTON SO YOU CAN GET PAID .I TRIED TO GET SOME ANSWERS FROM THE JUSTANSWER.COM WEBSITE BUT IT IS NOT GOING THROUGH SO I WILL OK FOR YOU TO GET THE $30 DOLLARS.ONE LAST QUESTION HOW COULD ONE PERSON TRY TO GET ANYTHING FROM THE OTHER PARTIES WHEN THEY HAVE NOTHING TO TAKE.AND HOW MUCH ARE THEY ALLOWED TO TAKE EXAMPLE IN CLOTHES ,ART ,JEWELRY,CAR ETC?THANKS FOR YOR TIME
Expert:  Law Girl replied 6 years ago.
Generally, it is very hard to get money from someone who has nothing. All that person would be able to do is get a judgment the other person and try to effectuate the judgment through garnishment and/or putting a lien on their assets. A judgment does not give anyone the right to take the debtor's personal effects that are not of much value.
Law Girl, Attorney
Experience: I am an attorney.