Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

Do you know of case law that allows student loans to ...

Customer Question

Do you know of case law that allows student loans to statisfy the means test for fileing a Chapt 7 bankruptcy.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 8 years ago.

I'm not sure I understand your question. The Means Test is a test in which you list your income and expenses based on the last 6 months, and then it tells you if a presumption of abuse arises if you attempt to file Chapter 7, thus compelling a Chapter 13.

I don't know how student loans can "satisfy" the Means Test, so I am not sure what type of information we can provide that you are looking for.

Can you be more specific? Thanks!

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) Joseph Ross. All rights reserved.