JoeLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996

If you file bankruptcy in Texas and go to a mediation with ...

If you file bankruptcy in Texas and go to a mediation with a creditor and this person agrees to the bankruptcy trustee to do certain things, in the mediationand lies during the mediation about what the balance is owed on real estate etc, and does not do them, is this bankruptcy fraud?

Generally the term "bankruptcy fraud" is applied to persons who file bankruptcy and falsify facts in their bankruptcy petition, hide assets, etc.

However, anyone (including a creditor) who is dishonest to the trustee or court can expose themselves to sanctions by the court or a potential fraud lawsuit.

If the debtor is involved in a mediation in which he or she is aware that a creditor is being dishonest, he or she should generally point out that dishonesty to the trustee or court through his or her attorney.

I don't know if this answered your question, so if not please let me know.

I hope this helps and a positive feedback is always appreciated if this was useful to you.

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) Joseph Ross. All rights reserved.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Joseph Ross's Post: If in the mediation the lie is believed at that time, by the trustee, arbitrator and all involved, and then an aggreement is signed that no one will sue the other and etc, including no one will sue another after this mediation for fraud, and THEN it becomes very obvious to everyone that it was a lie, does the aggreement still stand that no one can sue the other for fraud??