WA Bankruptcy Lawyer
WA Bankruptcy Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  30 years practice. Author of several articles.
10306577

Who should file bankruptcy

We live in Florida. I owe $60K for several credit cards (secure & unsecure credit). The last time I used those credit cards was 6 months ago. I have been paying the credit cards on time but my checking acct is almost negative. My husband has nothing to do with the credit cards debt. He is only responsible for a loan of $227 for our townhouse we bought together in Aug 2006 that it is now worth $147K. (I am one month behind only). We can''t even refinance because the property is not worth the debt owed. My husband is unemployed and I can''t pay my credit cards anymore.
Pls let me know if I should be the only one filing bankruptcy for my credit debt, and loan which is in both of our names?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WA Bankruptcy Lawyer replied 8 years ago.
You need a Florida bankruptcy lawyer but I would not file a joint case in these circumstances. I would also stop paying the credit cards. Paying the mortgage is much more important.