WA Bankruptcy Lawyer
WA Bankruptcy Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  30 years practice. Author of several articles.
10306577

THE STATE OF CALF. CHARGED ME INTEREST AND APPLIED BY ...

Customer Question

THE STATE OF CALF. CHARGED ME INTEREST AND APPLIED BY PAYMENTS TO INTEREST WHILE I WAS IN CHAPTER 13, THIS IS AGAINST FEDERAL LAW, WHAT CAN I DO?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WA Bankruptcy Lawyer replied 8 years ago.
Did you get a discharge in the Chapter 13?

What were the obligations?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes i got my discharge, paid 26,000 in back child support, it was non-welfare. Once it was paid, the State of Ca. (i live and filed in Texas) said they used that to go to interest and i know owe 56,000. The 26,000 was what they filed that i owed!
It was probably discharged in the 13 but to answer that I would need to see the plan, the court orders, and everything else. You need to take it everything back to your bankruptcy lawyer and have him/her sort it out.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
MY LAWYER RETIRED AND WON'T HELP,I HIRED ANOTHER AND HE SAID WE SHOULD WIN, A YEAR LATER, 3,000 BUCKS, AND I NOW REPRESENT MYSELF, DO TO CASH FLOW PROBLEMS. I HAVE A JUDGEMENT AGAINST ME FROM CALIF. AND HAVE AN APPEAL HERE IN TEXAS ON THAT. IT SEEMS CALIF SETS ITS OWN RULES WITHOUT REGUARDS TO FEDERAL LAW.
I'M AT A LOST AS TO WHAT TO DO. THE D.A.S OFFICE HERE AGREES WITH ME THAT THERE IS A CONFLICT OF LAWS, BUT SAID THERE NOTHING THEY CAN DO. THAT THEY HAVE TO HONOR CALF DECISION. ANY SUGGESTIONS?