Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

I just found out about bank accounts being garnished.what ...

I just found out about bank accounts being garnished.what steps do I need to take to have this reversed? It''s a credit card debt.
Thank you for requesting my assistance. Was a collection action filed? Were you served?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, and a judgement filed. I countered with a motion for installment payments , and heard nothing. Than the bank called me telling me that all of my and my childrens accounts have been frozen for garnishment. I still have not recievbed anything from the court or their attourney.

I think that another expert in the bankruptcy section might be better able to assist you. I will forward your question. Good luck.

Ellen, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to FLandNYLawyer's Post: I appreciate your honesty. Does this mean I have to accept this answer for you to forward the question? I understand this is how you get paid, but you really didn't answer my question. I'm sorry if this sounds rude, just tell me what I'm suppose to do?     Thanks
First, there is no such thing as a motion for install payments, at least not in any court I am familiar with. The option to take installment payments is something that a creditor may or may not do.

To stop the garnishment you have to either get an agreement, file some sort of state court motion seeking relief from the judgment. Given your motion for installment payments in which you probably admitted the debt, this does not seem like a viable option or file some sort of insolvency proceeding. This generally means a bankruptcy, either a Chapter 7 or a 13 (assuming that you qualify). This will stay the garnishment, may allow you to get the money back and is probably the only option available at this time.