WA Bankruptcy Lawyer
WA Bankruptcy Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  30 years practice. Author of several articles.
10306577

I had a chapter 7 bankruptcy discharged 14 months ago ...

I had a chapter 7 bankruptcy discharged 14 months ago and I now would like to trade in a vehicle I purchased 3 months before filing for bankruptcy. I retained the vehicle but didn''t reaffirm it. Can I give the vehicle back to the loan company and wipe this from my debt under the bankruptcy? I am upside down $6000 in a vehicle that has become very expensive with the cost of gas and would like to trade it for something more economical. Also of note, there is some minor damage that occured to the vehicle when someone 'hit and run'. Do we need to fix this or can we return the vehicle in 'as is' condition? Is this legal &/or ethical?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WA Bankruptcy Lawyer replied 8 years ago.
If you did not reaffirm, you can return the vehicle to the lender. The debt is discharged and they may not seek a defciency. As to the damage, is it insured. If so, turn in the insurance claim. If not, I can think of possible problems but they are unlikely.