CA Lawyer
CA Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Attorney

i would like to file bankruptcy and i would like to know ...

i would like to file bankruptcy and i would like to know could i do it on my own or would i really need a lawyer
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  CA Lawyer replied 8 years ago.
You are allowed to file bankruptcy on your own. However, I would never recommend doing so. There are too many issues that can be missed and too many errors that can be made by someone not familiar with the forms and procedures.

It is always best to hire an attorney to file your bankruptcy. If you are of limited wages, you can sometimes obtain a fee waiver for the Courts $299 filing fee and possibly be able to hire an attorney (for a chapter 7 at least), for somewhere in the $600 to $1000 range depending on the nature of your case. Most attorneys will let you pay their fees in installments over 6 months or so, and although they can't file until paid in full, they can contact your creditors to help get them off your back before filing.

If you do decide to file on your own, the bankruptcy courts have some very helpful guides and instructions that can be found at the following site: CLICK HERE.

If this information was helpful, please click ACCEPT to give me credit for answering. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated if deserved. If you need any clarification, just post a reply. Thanks!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
are there any lawyers in richmond that you can recommend
Expert:  CA Lawyer replied 8 years ago.
What state would that be in?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
im sorry Richmond,Va
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Do you know any good lawyers in richmond,va?