Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

I am married and have alot of my own debt that I can not ...

Customer Question

I am married and have alot of my own debt that I can not pay. I have been unemployed for over a year. I was served papers to appear in court for a large credit card debt from 5 years ago. Can I file bankrupcy seperate from my spouse and are taxes able to be disscharged under the bankruptcy law in Oregon.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  CA Lawyer replied 8 years ago.
How old are the taxes (what tax year are they for)?

Was a tax return filed timely for that year? If not, when was it filed?

When was your own debt incurred? Is your name only on the accounts, or are both of yours and your husbands names on the accounts?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The taxes are for multiple years. they were filed each year. All the debts are in my name only. They have been from the last 8 to 10 years.
I have nothing of value of my own and no prospects of employment in my small community. I am at my end of the rope and don't know what else to do. Am I able to file a chapter 7
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I was asked to clarify some questions but have not heard anything yet