CA Lawyer
CA Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Attorney

My home builder has filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy and I have ...

My home builder has filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy and I have received an Objection date notice. I need to know what to do now. The following are some of my problems. Water and air leaks around my windows and doors. Temperature in my living room is 12 degrees lower on windy winter days than the rest of my house. My kitchen outlets are under the backsplash. The levelers need adjusting. My hardwood floors had cracks from day one in the finish. This is a log home. The levelers need to be adjusted. My doors are very hard to open and shut. I have already filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Central Illinois as well as the Attorney General of Illinois.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  CA Lawyer replied 8 years ago.
I would recommend that you hire a bankruptcy attorney as soon as possible to look at your options.

Your options may include filing a proof of claim with the bankruptcy court (if the builder has any assets); challenging the bankruptcy as a whole; challenging the bankruptcy with regard to your issues; obtaining relief from the automatic stay to sue for fraud; or other items.

In the long run, you might not be able to do much about the bankruptcy or recover for the harm, unless you were somehow able to prove some sort of fraud.

Nonetheless, you need to consult with a local bankruptcy attorney about your rights ASAP.

If this information was helpful, please click ACCEPT to give me credit for answering. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated if deserved. If you need any clarification, just post a reply. Thanks!