Dan, MA/MRC
Dan, MA/MRC, Professional Counselor, Educator
Experience:  Prof. counselor, 27 year exper. autism spectrum disorders. 16 years as Spec. Edu . Lic Ed. Consultant Masters
56909657

I recently received my lipid panel from the lab in which I

Customer Question

I recently received my lipid panel from the lab in which I requested it myself through an online lab company. The results came back and below are the readings:
Cholesterol, Total 143
Triglycerides 93
HDL Cholesterol 36 (Low)
VLDLCholerserol 19
LDL Cholererol 88
everything was in range except for HDL (good) cholesterol is low. My Age is 52, My height and weight is 6'1 190lbs
I have a 35" - 351/2 waist. I have a muscular build and have a 45" chest and 15 1/2" arms. I only eat processed foods sparingly like every 3 or 4 weeks. I only eat natural foods: alot of vegetables and fruits, take vitamins, juiced drink for lunch, alot of nuts, eggs and bacon in the morning. All meals prepared with minimal season and no salt added. The only thing I could be doing more is exercising as I have been very active in exercising in my 20's, 30's, and early 40's. I have worked out in spurts, mostly focused on weight training. Over the last 3 weeks I have started focusing more on aerobics 3 - 5 days a week. My job is a financial planner so I spend a good part of the day sitting down.
Should I be concerned about the low HDL (Good) Cholesterol Level being low and How can I change this so I will have more healthier HDL?
Thank you for your feedback
Category: Autism
Expert:  Dr. Caplan replied 3 months ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com chat dialog.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. Perhaps most importantly, I consider myself a patient listener.

I have read your post and comments and question...

the answer is quite simple and straight forward, actually.

an HDL of 40 is considered normal, so 36 is "low" but only marginally so.

A regimen of a statin and or niacin can raise this up to normal in weeks to months. if you prefer avoiding medications, exercise and a glass of red wine nightly can also help.

Was I able to address your question to your satisfaction? Can I answer any other questions for you today?