Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have had family members who have researched

Customer Question

Hi, I have had family members who have researched Asperger's syndrome on the Internet and thought I might have similar features. I have seen two psychiatrists, one who seemed to agree that I probably did have Asperger's. The other thought that I could be very mild on the autism spectrum. However, I don't quite understand how they could come to a diagnosis after a one-hour consultation based only on my history. Is it usual for psychiatrists to come to a diagnosis so quickly? I've attached reports from both psychiatrists and during the consultation, the psychiatrist who thought I had Asperger's/autism spectrum said that he based the diagnosis on the following history given. Hypochondriasis based on excessive worry on health and thinking it could always be something serious which is only relieved by adequate medical investigation but the feature suggesting Asperger's is my more detailed knowledge of medical issues, which exceeds most university graduates' level. When I was a child, I was interested in cars but because I also wanted to remember the prices, acceleration and lengths of many models it suggests an interest different to other normal interests of children and much more detailed-orientated. Also, I was able to remember many of the details. Excessive habits of uploading videos of aircraft and hotels on youtube. Not normally done by most people who are more interested in the destination not the aircraft cabins and interiors, eg. inflight entertainment, etc. Excessive habits of writing hotel reviews, reviewing every hotel I have stayed in since about 7 years ago and almost feeling incomplete without writing a review of hotel stayed. Avoidance or no need of much social contact. No desire for social interaction/marriage and not feeling it is a problem. Different from the diagnosis of pure social anxiety (although I have some of that as well) because it suggests that even without social anxiety, I still would not want to engage that much socially or have an urge to nest. This is what is suggestive of Asperger's. No real desire for more than limited social contact. When I was a child, I did not want to increase my circle of friends like most people, content with a group only of 4-5 friends, which is limited. I suggested possible excessive verbosity as a trait consistent with Asperger's. I would like to know if I should just accept the diagnosis because there was no testing and everything was just based on personal history. The psychiatrist was not a specialist in Asperger's or autism spectrum disorders. He did not recommend any medications but the other psychiatrist recommended Zoloft on a trial basis. I am just thinking that firstly a proper diagnosis is needed and there are two different opinions. Should I seek more detailed investigations? I have consulted another psychiatrist online who is of the view that the history describes anxiety but not autism. Thankyou.

Category: Autism
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief. At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.Does this make sense to you?I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.Thanks in advance,Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the advice. I am located in Australia so I'm not sure if there are any centres which deal with these issues here but I will try to find out.

I am sure that there are Teaching hospitals in Australia, mate....especially in the large cities.I wish you the very best.I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.Thanks in advance,Dr. Rick MD FACS