Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician
Experience:  14 years in general pediatrics in the US including autism and developmental delay.
45319925

My son is 22....looks 14....and has been diagnosed with Aspergers.

Customer Question

My son is 22....looks 14....and has been diagnosed with Aspergers. He seems to NOT have any focus on anything. He has no friends, and has no wish to DO anything. His college work is dismal. He drops every course. He has NOTHING that he is interested in. I am recommending that he join the Interim Program (Northampton, Mass.). Is that a good idea?
Category: Autism
Expert:  Dr. Ficus, MD replied 2 years ago.

DrFiscusMD :

I'll do my best to try to help you with this concern. If you're available for chat let's get started. If not, I can switch to e-mail.

DrFiscusMD :

A gap year program like the Interim Program might be a reasonable option for him, but I'm not sure that they will have much experience with people affected by Asperger's. You'll want to inquire about that specifically prior to enrolling him in their program.

DrFiscusMD :

Have you looked into a social group for him? I found one in your area and this is the link. It's specifically for people on the spectrum (rather than their parents, etc) and through that and the program facilitator he might be able to find others he can relate to and resources to help him with career choices. Their website is as follows:

DrFiscusMD :

If this information has been helpful to you please click "accept". If you have further questions please be sure to reply so we can continue this discussion.

Customer:

Thanks for the info. Glad to read that there are specific groups.....but western Massachusetts is a far drive for him (he is on the coast in New London, CT). Any groups nearer the Atlantic coast?

Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician
Experience: 14 years in general pediatrics in the US including autism and developmental delay.
The closest support group I can find to New London is in Wallingford (about 1hr away) It only meets once a month, so maybe that's do-able. Here's the link:

http://www.ct-asrc.org/adultsupport.html