Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

My question is that if an employer demote and offer a new

Customer Question

hello, my question is that if an employer demote and offer a new contract on the basis of disciplinary action, am I entitled to have some time to think before accepting or rejecting that offer before I launch a formal complaint in fair works commission?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in Queensland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: the issue started as a formal complaint against me on 5th May, management investigated and on 8th May, they verbally informed me about decision and yesterday I received it in writing and new employment contract which is commencing from today,
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have plans to launch a complaint in fair works commission against this unfair law so I need time to consult so what response should I give to the HR management about the new contract so that I can get some more time, am I legally entitled to have some time?
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  John Melis replied 7 days ago.

Dear Customer, there are minimum standards that apply under the Fair Work Act in your situation. Your issue will also depend on the company's policy hand procedures manual if they have one. If you would like to request a telephone call I can assist you further in more detail.