Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I suffered an injury and on the advice of the company where

I suffered an injury and on the advice of the company where i had the accidents insurance company i contacted a lawyer who went on to sue the company for compensation for me. They were one of these no win no pay outfits and of course i got sucked into going ahead with it all and the long and the short of it is i was awarded $100,000.00 dollars which they took 36,000.00 plus GST as their fee (40,000.00) to which i was horrified. The thing i want to know is i would have thought i would be entitled to a summary of their charges (surely they have to justify how they came to this amount ) and also i have received no final statements to reflect where they disposed of the balance of the money or any receipts from the interested parties they should have paid on my behalf ie hospital's involved,governments departments. Also they hired a barrister to present the case at an exhorbitant fee at the meeting in his office on the day we settled was this necessary? is it a legal requirement as i thought as they were acting on my behalf they would have presented the case to the insurance company and the company where i had the accident's employee's. I spoke briefly to a friends brother who is a lawyer at Christmas time and he thought i should have received all the paper work to dischage the case and put it to bed within a time frame of three months and it is now coming up to two years since this all came about. Kind regards Gloria
JA: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when exactly were you notified?
Customer: This is in Queensland and i am not sure what you mean by notified?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: It was all filed back in 2014 and i received a cheque from them in2015 for $42,682.60
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to know if they are allowed to do this really

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Good Afternoon

When you agreed to them acting did they give you a cost agreement and did you sign it.

Did you consent to the settlement or was it an award by a court? If you settled had they told you what the costs and other deductions were to be before you signed?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Leon thank you for your help today but I am very confused I clicked on a website for free legal advice and now I have this justanswer crowd signing me up as a member with a monthly fee. I can't afford this and want them to unsubscribe me now. As to your question I agreed to settle out of court and was not told what the fee they were going to charge me was only that they could take up to a certain percentage which they never revealed & I now upon reflection think this is very under handed . I think I am entitled to a breakdown of their fees and also I want to know where the rest of my settlement money went to which I think is not unreasonable.

Good Afternoon

I am not sure about what you have signed up for I will let them know and they will contact you.

Is the percentage they took what they said they would take?

You are entitled to a breakdown. I am not sure why it has taken you this long to question it. Your dealt is an issue because if you dispute costs there is a time limit that you have to let the solicitors know.

The law society of QLD can assist more and here is their link to disputing costs.

http://www.qls.com.au/For_the_community/You_your_solicitor/Solicitors_fees_charges

They should have given you a break down and also a cost agreement.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. This is the sway to move this forward and you should also contact the firm and ask for a full itemised account.

If there is nothing further

Thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you Leon you have been very helpful

All the best and good luck