Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

My partner was driving her friends car whilst visiting her

Customer Question

My partner was driving her friends car whilst visiting her on holidays and had an accident at an intersection involving 2 other cars. The car she was driving had a manual gearbox and she has an automatic only licence, therefore driving out class. As it turned out her friend whos car she was driving has no insurance and hasn't since 2014 and I'm now left with insurance companies chasing me for in excess of 20k. Do you have any advice in relation to this as we haven't formally agreed on anything yet?
Rehards
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning.

I am really sorry to hear about this.

You are going to have to negotiate with the insurance companies to reach an agreement.

You may even have to consider borrowing the money to pay for the damage. If you do not then they can sue you and once you have a judgement then they can seek to seize your property and assets and even bankrupt you.

If you have nothing then you can consider bankrutcy to avoid having to pay.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. if there is nothing further Happy New Year and

Thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards