Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

We have property that as being rented out to tenant ts. The

Customer Question

We have property that as being rented out to tenant ts. The tenant asked to break lease due to domestic violence from her ex. Is she still liable to pay rent on the property till end of lease (which is January this year. Vacated in December 2016. Received letter from real estate in November advising us of the situation which we agreed to. In the meantime an offer was made on our property to buy with vacate possession at end of tenants lease. I had sent an email to real estate stating agreeable for tenants to leave on 18 December presuming our property wouldn't be sold but then and a tenant would easily be found for a further six months. I have spoke to real estate and was told tenant not liable to pay out lease due to her circumstances. I am not happy I was not told this back in November only today. I was told back in Nivember when I questioned about the lease that tenant was legally responsible to pay out lease until another tenant found. Where do we stand on this.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Queensland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Only correspondent via email
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just where we stand. We can't realistic get another tenant for a month. Settlement is 23 January lease expires 20 January. New owners want to live in unit. This has affected us financially(even though only a month). We have personal issues ourselves also I've are not happy wasn't to,d in November that tenant wasn't liable for ren from vacating till expiry of lease
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 3 months ago.

Good Evening.

If you agree to end the lease then she is not liable.

Also based on what you have told the agent is clear that the tenant is free to leave and the lease is at an end.

I am sorry but there is very little that can now be done. You have lost the rent until the date of settlement. If there is nothing further happy new year and

Thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards