Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I work in an aged care facility in Tewantin, Sunshine Coast.

Customer Question

Hello, I work in an aged care facility in Tewantin, Sunshine Coast. Work as a aissistant in nursing. Very physical 7 hr shifts in Dementia. We have reported numerous times, in fact many, over the years about the aircon situation. When the aircon breaks down it takes over 3 weeks at a time to have fixed as parts are supposed to come from overseas. In the meantime (main area like lounge area for 30 residents and corridors and residents rooms) are so warm and hot the staff are perspiring bucket loads, never mind , first and foremost the residents health and safety. We have had extreme hot weather of late. Please advise. No amount of corrective action forms are making a difference.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Queensland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We hope all our C.A.R forms have been filed. Residents families have also complained.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Temperatures have been in mid to late twenties over past week at 10 pm. Although the aircon is now fixed they have it on a timer to go off at 8.30pm which is timing off at 5.30 over the last week and they are refusing to believe it saying the technicians say it is 8.30pm. A memo came out to say that the neighbours are complaining about the noise from the outside aircon unit in evenings and the staff have adjusted the inside control too many times so it has had to go on a timer.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Good Evening.

If they are not maintaining the facility you have to report it to the Authorities because they have to look after the residents.

https://www.agedcarecomplaints.gov.au

https://www.qld.gov.au/seniors/home-support-housing/aged-care/

This should also be done by the carers of the residents as well as staff.

The parties that run the nursing home are in breach of the agreement they have with the residents.

Hope this makes sense and is of assistance. if there is nothing further Happy new year and

Thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards