Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Father has had no contact with daughter for 6 years, and has

Customer Question

father has had no contact with daughter for 6 years, and has now stopped paying child support. child is just 14 lives in Tasmania can she get a passport without his signature
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Good Evening.

You will have to get a court order and then show the order to the passport office.

https://www.passports.gov.au/pages/brochure-children-and-parental-consent.aspx

Or you can try and get one under special circumstances.

It is best you apply in the court at the same time.

http://www.diyfamilylawaustralia.com/Topic/child_issues_passports_travel_getting_passport.html

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what is a court order going to cost, and just to be difficult he is bound to oppose this which will be more expense with no surety of a good outcome for her
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

It can cost up to $10,000.00 if the father is going to fight it.

But if you notify him that if he refuses to sign you will go to court and seek an order and costs against him you will be able to ask for him to pay your costs.

Your solicitor can assist in drafting the letter so you can get back your costs when you win.

The majority of these applications are successful and the court does award costs against the parent that refuses to sign.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You have just reiterated what I already knew and at what age does she not need his signature was my question
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Under the passport Act a child is under the age of 18 and until they are 18 they need both parents to consent.

Only of you have a court order or can show special circumstances can you get a passport with one parent not signing.

I am sorry but there is nothing more positive I can tell you.

Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning

I am just following up my last post and seeing if there is anything else I can assist you with. If so please let me now and we can go from there.

If not I wish you and your family a safe and Merry Christmas and a Happy and prosperous 2017.

Take Care and regards