How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 42659
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just wanted to find out some of the laws around car

Customer Question

Just wanted to find out some of the laws around car ownership
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Queensland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No just wanted to get some advise about how to proceed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Maybe easier to explain it all to the lawyer it may involve fraud.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 10 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 10 days ago.

Good Afternoon

How can I help you?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Leon, Just wanted to know what avenue to take. My son-in-law has a dvo against his parents since March/April last year. He has an old car housed at there house that is registered to my son-in-law. Today they rang the Department of Transport and found that the car has been transferred out of his name to his mothers name approximately 4 months ago and he has never signed anything to have this done.
Expert:  Leon replied 10 days ago.

Good Afternoon

If he owns the car and he paid for it he should contact the police and advise them of what has happened.

He should also notify the Department of transport about this.

You cannot transfer the registration of a car unless the registered owner signs.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance if there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.



Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He doesn't have any paperwork on the car as it was all at this mothers house but the Department of Transport says it was transferred out of his name 4 months ago how would we get a copy of the vehicle registration transfer application forms.
Expert:  Leon replied 10 days ago.

Good Afternoon

I would suggest you firstly apply under freedom of information to get the information from them.

Also call the police and report it.

Expert:  Leon replied 9 days ago.

Good Morning.

Just checking to see if there is anything else I can assist you with? If not than you for using my services and take care