Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

My 22 year old daughter has been subjected to assault and

Customer Question

My 22 year old daughter has been subjected to assault and abuse and death threats by a now former boyfriend. Ironically he has obtained a intervention order against her. Her mental state is that she extremely frightened by this man and just wants no more to do with him and has cut all ties with him and associates. My question is does she need to attend the court hearing with regard the order. Her preference is that she does not want to put herself through the ordeal but happy about the order as she does not want to see him anyway.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Victoria
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She attended a police station at the insistance of a work colleague prior to her receiving her order. The police were wanting her to make assault charges against him. But she declined. She is just terrified of what she thinks he will do to her and my family. He has allegedly threatened my life and other family members. So in short she has not gone through with anything yet and her mental state is that I doubt that I could convince her to
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He has tried to contact her through the family, friends and her workplace and has allegedly made some comments on social media. He has previously trashed her home and stolen her mobile phone which has been returned on my intervention. He has broken her previous phone and caused damage to her home.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 13 days ago.

Hello
She does not need to attend.
She can contact the court and have her consent to the orders without admission.

Meaning in English 'yep fine, I agree to the order, whatever, but I do not agree with the allegations'

It happens a lot.
BUT I STRONGLY SUGGEST:

Nil contact with him, even if he contacts her, as it will be a breach of the orders.
Cease all contact.

I know you have suggested she wants no contact, but in practice I hear this all the time, only to have someone breach the order because they reconnected somehow.

I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 12 days ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 days ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 days ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 9 days ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 9 days ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.