Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I'm a registered child sex offender in NSW and have been out

Customer Question

I'm a registered child sex offender in NSW and have been out of prison since 2009 after serving 4 1/2 years. I have run a very successful small business in building and construction project manager for some years under an alias. This alias is registered to and known by the police. None of my clients are aware of my birth surname. I have kept the police fully informed of my business and private matters in accordance with my reporting obligations. I have never come to the attention of police since release from prison.
I applied to the Commissioner of Police to change my name as I am obliged to under the Act however it has been refused. I wish to appeal this decision. Is this decision appealable, if so to what body? Is it NCAT and do they have jurisdiction? If no statutory body has jurisdiction, do I have any common law rights if so through what court? Thank you, ***** ***** forward to your reply. Chris
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 2 months ago.

Good Afternoon

I would not suggest NCAT as it is not a tribunal that deals with the Police.

I think the courts would be the best option and the District court would be the appropriate court.

It has the power to deal with Administrative Law. This would deal with the police not exercising their authority correctly.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance If there was nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Expert:  Leon replied 2 months ago.

Good Morning.

Just checking to see if there is anything else I can assist you with? If not than you for using my services and take care

Regards