Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

My previous employer discovered that I mismanaged some

Customer Question

my previous employer discovered that I mismanaged some accounts causing loss of income. He wants me to meet him to discuss and see if I can shed light on the error. He did mention he has sought legal advice, I am assuming so he can make me pay for the loss.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Victoria
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not to my knowledge, only spoke with him an hour ago.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I did not make the mistake deliberately. Can they make me come in and go over it?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 16 days ago.

Hello
Generally no, they cannot 'go you' for the money and sue, UNLESS they can prove that it was negligent and or you did this with the genuine intention that you wanted to fraudulently take money from them.

Having said that, it does not restrict them from suing you in court and wasting your time.

I suggest that as you no longer work there, I would decline the meeting and suggest strongly that it is their issue and should have looked over the accounts regardless.

You are under no obligation to speak with them at all.
Not to be too presumptuous, but their legal advice would generally be 'yea, go speak to the ex employee and see if they will come over for a chat and scare them into paying something'

I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 16 days ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 14 days ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 days ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.