Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

We booked a cabin described as being accessible, a term used

Customer Question

We booked a cabin described as being accessible, a term used to describe a cabin suitable for mobility impaired passengers, on P & O Australia's cruise ship Pacific Aria. The cruise was to PNG and departed October 31, 2016. I was unable to use my roller walker in the cabin due to it's it's very narrow width with insufficient space between the bed & the wall. A second problem was the high step into the bathroom which my husband estimated as 20cm high. It was certainly much higher than a door step or curb. While I c an get up a normal step with the assistance of my walker this one was beyond my capability. There
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Queensland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We complained to P & O who have refused to provide any compensation for the fact we were obliged to disembark before departure of the ship because no suitable cabin was available.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thiswas to have been our tenth cruise with P * O. We have occupied a balcony cabin on their ship Pacific Dawn not described as accessible with no difficulty. It is reasonable to expect a balcony cabin describedc as being accissible to be at least as accessible as a standard cabin on a ship owned by the same company.e
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 15 days ago.

Hello
Did you disclose to them your limitations as to mobility?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
We entered the Travel Agent's office in both a wheel chair & a walker & I have booked accessible cabins with P & O previously (9 cruises). I don't need the wheelchair in the cabin but cannot manage without the walker.
Expert:  Daniel replied 15 days ago.

So it was obvious that accessibility would be a clear and present issue!
It appears they would be aware as to the issues, they are in the business of arranging holidays for people and clearly they would have to have made arrangements for you.
I would suggest however, that the agent may well be liable, as they would have made the arrangements and would have to have made the relevant searches before 'locking you in'

I suggest speaking with them and have them provide some compensation. Failing that, filing a complaint here:
https://www.qld.gov.au/law/fair-trading/

I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 14 days ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 12 days ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 9 days ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.