Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I am treasurer at a club, when I done the banking I didn't

Customer Question

I am treasurer at a club, when I done the banking I didn't check the receipt it was deposited into the other clubs account where we deposit cheques for kart hire... before the president gave me a chance to check what had happened that month he has accused me of stealing it.. I got the money from the other club and re deposited it into our account making sure it was deposited correctly. I am still getting accused for it. He waited months to point it out, hadn't been giving me bank statements for months while I was pregnant I didn't chase them having my hand full and being heavily pregnant, So I know I should have chased the statements but thought he would say something if it wasn't right. Should I go to the police and let them know what had happened and that I made contact with the other club got the money and deposited. As he wants to take it to the police
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: In QLD it happened earlier in the year, I asked why he didn't say something earlier he said he didn't want to stress me out being pregnant so waited until I had the baby and made sure there was a group of people around to bring it up when bub was 4 months old... the other club was great and got the money to us ASAP for it to be corrected... they had treasurer and secretary changed 3 times this year so they hadn't picked up on the extra deposits
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No not yet he has been accusing me and wants to take it on Monday to the police, even though I found where it had gone and got it all sorted out
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Non
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 21 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 21 days ago.

Good Morning.

Off the money was with the other club then the accusation of you stealing are defamatory comments and you have a right to sue him.

If the police are provided with the evidence that the money was left with the other club they will not charge you.

You have a claim in defamation and you have to get a solicitor to send him a letter and request he apologise and retract the comments.

If he refuses then you sue him for the loss of reputation.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there os nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards