Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I am inquiring for my 28 year old son who while on a holiday

Customer Question

I am inquiring for my 28 year old son who while on a holiday in Port Lincoln a few weeks ago had too many beers and got into an argument with his girlfriend and in the heat of the moment grabbed her by the throat and pushed her. She was obviously shocked by this and police were called and he was placed in custody overnight. They are a great couple and I believe this was a huge mistake on behalf of my son. The police suggested she have him arrested for assault and because she agreed at the time, she has had 2nd thoughts and wants to drop the charges and the police in Port Lincoln says that she can't. Can you tell me why?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: South Australia and I think the weekend of the 29/11/2016
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm guessing the police filed it and my sons girlfriend reported as the police recommended she did
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: As I said I am writing this on behalf of my son and I have just spoken with him and have told him to get onto this website his details will obviously be more accurate. I am just doing a motherly thing and trying to help him out.Lastly He will want to know costs as well. Thank you for your help so far.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Good Afternoon

She cannot now drop the charges only the police can do that.

She is a witness for them and nothing more.