Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

Just wandering what happens if u receive an inheritance

Customer Question

hi just wandering what happens if u receive an inheritance after u are discharged from bankruptcy thanks shellie
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the lawyer to go over that information with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him or her to know?
Customer: oh yes can a person do there own deceased estate forms my dad passed away 2mths ago thanks ..
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 23 days ago.

Hello
If a bankrupt inherits property as a beneficiary of a deceased estate on or after the date of bankruptcy and before discharge, which is usually three years, then the bankrupt’s interest in the estate is after acquired property and vests in the trustee in bankruptcy, even if the estate has not been fully administered by the time the bankrupt has been discharged.

Sometimes, a will outlines that if any beneficiary has been discharged bankrupt, the money will be kept upon trust till the limitation period is over.

This does not seem to be case perhaps in this instance.

I wish to help you in this situation.
Yes you are able to do your own forms in respect of the estate.

Please click accept / rate my service. I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost to you