Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

My mail is being redirected from WA to NSW but some of my

Customer Question

My mail is being redirected from WA to NSW but some of my mail is being sent to another person (they are the old owner of the property - 2 years ago). This woman got my police clearance and opened it......not happy
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: She opened my mail in WA it happened sometime between 25 october and 4 november
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: australia post says "these things happen when there are two redirections in"..... yes i have complained thru Aust post...whoelese can i report it to?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i have other mail that has gone missing over the years but perhaps she got those too? ok
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 18 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 18 days ago.

Good Afternoon

If you had a redirection from Australia post and they have done the incorrect thing you have to lodge a complaint against them.

In relation to the opening of your mail when ti was not addressed to her it is a breach of the postal act and she can be charged.

Why were there 2 re-directions in place?

were they both yours?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
one redirection is mine...the other one is hers...she used to own the property before I bought it ...she hasnt lived there for three years. I have lodged a complaint with australia post but no one seems to be taking it seriously. I was unaware she had a redirection still in place until she showed up at my house with my police clearance and took it out to show my friend who was cleaning my house in preparation for an open home. My mail had her sticker for redirection on it.
I have been missing a lot of mail while I was living there...bills, credit cards had to be reissued, tax assessement notices that didnt arrive, items I bought on ebay which i had to get resent to me because they didnt arrive....I am now wondering if this woman has been getting my other mail and packages and just keeping them
Expert:  Leon replied 18 days ago.

Good Afternoon

If they dont then take it to the ombudsman.

http://www.ombudsman.gov.au/making-a-complaint/how-to-make-a-complaint

Here opening your mail is a criminal offence and they should be reporting it to the police.

It is a matter that has to be reported that she has been poring your mail.

http://www.sydneycriminallawyers.com.au/blog/what-are-the-penalties-for-tampering-with-mail-in-australia/

She has to show it was by mistake or an accident.